FASTag, an Electronic Toll Collection System in India, operated by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI), will be made compulsory from 1st December 2019. Owners of the vehicle without FASTag will have to pay twice the normal rate at the toll booth. All the toll plazas falling under Udaipur division are getting prepared for the new system.
Initially, the authority will keep the Hybrid Lane open for people. Hybrid lane will accept both cash and FASTag payment at the booth. The toll booths around the city are being prepared for the new system. Government is taking all the required action to send the message across to the citizens. Many banks have opened a separate counter for customers to purchase FASTag.
Things you should know about FASTag:
- From December 1, if you enter the lane reserved for FASTag without FASTag on your vehicle, you will have to pay double the amount of toll tax.
- You can buy FASTag from Amazon, or some selected branches of banks like SBI, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, etc.
- There will also be Point-of-Sale counters at National Highway Toll Plazas for people to buy FASTag.
- You will need to submit your KYC documents, Vehicle Registration Certificate (RC), and a passport size photographer of the vehicle owner to buy FASTag.
- After buying, FASTag has to be activated from MYFASTag mobile app by entering the vehicle’s and vehicle owner’s detail.
- FASTag comes at a one-time joining fee of Rs. 100 inclusive of taxes.
- You need to maintain a minimum balance of Rs. 100.
- You need to maintain a refundable security deposit of Rs. 200 – 400 depending on the type of vehicle.
- You can keep the amount in the FASTag wallet or link it with your bank account.
- You need to login to FASTag portal to recharge.
Benefits fo FAStag:
FASTag is built on Radio Frequency Technology which can allow you to make direct payments at toll booth from your prepaid FASTag account or linked bank account. So, the vehicles are not required to stop at the toll booths to pay the toll tax.